Popular Posts

Thursday, May 31, 2012

8 Weeks of Practice


I've always liked the idea of playing the piano. I used to pop in a classical cd, press "play," sit down at the piano, run my fingers back and forth, and magically play beautifully without touching the keys! Once upon a time, I even memorized a couple songs to fool people into thinking I could play.

But facing the facts, I have to admit that I can't play. I can read music....slowly. I can point out the notes on the piano. I know the difference between a whole, half and quarter note. Ask me where middle c is, I'll show you. I know the sharps and flats. But sit me down at the piano with some sheet music and say "play," I just can't do it. So, with encouragement from my darling husband, and some advice from my piano-playing brother and sister, I've finally signed up at the college for private lessons this summer--8 weeks.


When I first started looking into it, I learned that classes are typically 30 minutes, once a week. Great! They can't be too expensive then! $30 is supposedly about average. It sounded like a lot to me--not having anything to compare it to. So, I changed my mind and decided, I'll teach myself! But then I stopped. I've been telling myself that for years, and I'm still not a genius pianist. In fact, who am I kidding? I'm not a piano player at all!


So once again, I went back to looking into lessons. The college here in town offers them at a fairly reasonable price--$20 a lesson. Since $30 is average, then $20 must be a good deal! And so I called and got everything set up. Turns out, the lady who will be my teacher is also a voice instructor (and hired only two weeks ago). There's no telling what these piano lessons will lead to! I'm super excited about it.

Subconsciously I'm telling myself that it's going to be a cake-walk. Just take the lessons, and in 8 weeks, you're pro. But realistically, I know it's not like that. PRACTICE is key--and the "Greats" practice their whole life, not just 8 weeks. I don't know how much I'll be told to practice, but I'm bracing myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment