Popular Posts

Monday, September 24, 2012

A gallon of water a day...

makes the headaches on a fast go away! Or so, that's what I've heard. I've never been one to experience extreme discomfort during a fast--other than those stomach pangs from hunger of course. However, three years ago on Atonement, I suddenly got a pounding headache--miserable!--that completely took away from the day. And ever since then, it seems anytime I fast, there's a headache that decides to sit on my head.

I've heard from a few different sources that drinking a gallon of water before a fast will help. Turns out, the day before the fast isn't the time to drink it--no, that didn't work. Then I heard the secret is TWO days before the fast. This year, (for Atonement) I've decided to put the gallon-of-water method to the test. And since one of my goals this summer has been to drink more water, I figure I've had great practice.

Today, then, is the two day mark. Morning came and "glug-glug." Gross. Water in the morning--blah.

Breakfast time--a few more glugs. Not bad.

I lugged my jug around the house as I finished up packing for the Feast, as I walked to the mailbox, as I took Sam's suits to the cleaners.

By lunchtime, I had what seemed to be a half gallon left. Not too shabby! That wasn't too hard--a half more to go.

I toted the jug with me to voice lessons, taking a gulp here and there.

Suddenly, it hit me. I raced down three flights of stairs to get to the only bathroom I knew of at the school. It makes sense--you put a half gallon in, it's gotta go somewhere.

Back to voice lessons. A few more sips. I swished my way home, reaching for the jug at every stop sign.

Dinner time. I looked at my jug. That's funny. It doesn't look like I've had much since lunch. I realized that these gallon jugs are deceptive! Notice, the top is narrow--so after just a few gulps, it appears you've had a lot. But as it gets closer to the bottom, the wider the jug gets--taking you longer to "make a dent."

So here I am, staring at my water jug, with a seemingly endless bottomful. While it doesn't seem to be going down any, with each swig, I can feel it getting lighter and lighter.

I'm expecting my night to be full of tip-toeing to the bathroom. But if it means a headache-free Atonement, it's more than worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment