Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Highways of Literature

I was indirectly referred to a book written by David Pryde called "What to Read and How to Read." It took me a while to find, as it was listed under the title, "The Highways of Literature." So, I ordered it, not really knowing what to expect--not even knowing if it was the right book (over time, books get edited, and re-edited, and it soon becomes a different book altogether). But for 90 cents, why not?



Today, I found it stuffed in our mailbox.
This book is so old, there is no copyright date. The pages are yellow and dingy, darker around the edges. They are so crisp, I'm afraid to make a crease at the binding, turning from page to page, for fear they will break off. It seems so fragile that I was a little anxious as I did my first initial "flip-thru" to search for pictures. (You do it too! Pick up a book, flip through, pretending to get an idea of what it's about--we all know you're looking for pictures!) :) So I was relieved that it was actually published--typed--not an earlier edition of scribbled drafts of a book-in-the-making.

In the beginning, I heavily debated on even getting the book because in the past four years, I just haven't had TIME for reading. Why spend money on another book that I'm just going to put on the shelf; an addition to an already unread collection? Who has time for reading?
I recalled one day at services (several weeks prior), I heard a young boy make the excuse why he doesn't read. "I don't have time" he said. To give food-for-thought, I replied, "you have the same 24 hours that anyone else has." And then it hit me, as I was debating about the book, that I have those same 24 hours that anyone else has.

How is it that problems are so easily seen and solved when it comes to others, but in my case, they are ligitimate, unsolvable issues with justifiable excuses?

 I've concluded that everyone has the same complaints, just disguised a little differently.

Upon this realization (that everyone has the same 24 hours), I decided to budget my time more wisely. And part of that budget is devoted to reading. So with my new budget and "the book is only 90 cents" factor, I justified purchasing the book.

Like I said, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Was this an old text book? Casual reading?

As soon as I opened the package and marveled at it's antiquated appearance, I began reading.

The title reads just like this:
"The Highways of Literature; or, What to Read and How to Read."

Semicolon, "or," comma, and period all included. Made me laugh. Back then, if you couldn't decide on a title, just throw them all in and leave it to the reader to decide which one he likes best!

Despite it's age, I am pleasantly surprised with the reading. It is quite refreshing and full of thought provoking tid-bits.

Chapter one, second paragraph: "Every intelligent person in the present day is impressed with the great advantages to be derived from reading. ...One man, very unsophisticated, buys all the new works that are recommended to him, arranges them on the shelves of what he calls his 'library,' does not cut them up, for fear, apparently, lest the knowledge in them should all run out; sits down in the midst of them and fancies that by looking at their outsides he is acutally becoming learned."

Yes, "very unsophisticated," indeed.

In referring to how to select the "right" books and make good use of them, he says, "Men have a natural tendency to imitate each other in their opinions as well as in other peculiarities. Besides, they are lazy by nature, and would rather appropriate an idea ready-made than have the trouble of forming one for themselves. Hence we often hear one opinion echoed from one hollow skull to another....They look at a subject from the same point of view, read each other's works, and, willingly or unwillingly, borrow from each other."

I love it. He very clearly points the finger at authors and readers alike by showing that there is such a thing as wasting time by reading.

"Do not care although you are taunted with not knowing many books. When old Hobbles was asked why he had not read more: 'Read more!' he exclaimed, 'if I had read as many books as other men, I would have been as ignorant as other men.'"

Thus, he resolves that it's quality over quantity.

I think this is giong to be a fun adventure on the highways of literature!









4 comments:

  1. Your pictures added to your blogging makes them come to life. Very enjoyable. Great job Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! As I mentioned in my first blog, I'm a visual person and as somewhat hinted in this blog, I like pictures as I read. :) Glad you enjoy them--I am sure I will keep up with the animations.

      By the way, we missed you yesterday! There were actually several people missing (at least 8, including you). Hope you are ok.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I loved this entry! If it had been a book, I wouldn't have been able to lay it down. (chuckle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you would be a loyal reader of mine? How wonderful! Years ago, I dreamed of being an author. I've started several books, just haven't finished any. *giggle* My most recent one I started--perhaps a year ago--is still only 5 pages. But after reading this book (that I've blogged about), I'm building more of a foundation for writing all together. Will I ever be an author? Who knows! It's still an interest of mine, but isn't necessarily a hot persuit. :)

      Thanks so much for your comment. :)

      Delete