Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lesson in the Rock-beds


I certainly have my parents to thank for my hard work ethic. At times, when I don't stop to consider it (as if I were born with it or something), I've settled with "it's just the way I am"--like this is ever an answer...puh-lease! But when you come across those who have NO work ethic, those who would actually work to make excuses why they can't work, it really makes me appreciate "the way I am" and realize that I wasn't born with this. Rather it was instilled within me. So here's a big shout out to Dad and Mom: Thank you for teaching me how to WORK!


But I've gotta say, when it comes to pulling weeds, I wonder what went wrong. It's almost like it's programmed in me: "Pull weeds?" "Find something else to do."

On Sundays, I will oftentimes find Sam outside in the rock-beds pulling weeds. To enjoy his company, I'll go out there and pretend to help. Occasionally, most likely out of guilt, I manage to give a little extra umph and pull a weed or two, but it is a rarity. However, this past Sunday was such an occasion. And when I finally talked myself into the "good deed," and reached for the nearest weed, it turned out to be stubborn and committed to staying put! Let's just say, it wasn't motivation to reach for another weed.

As Sam and I talked, our conversation turned to "pulling weeds." I confessed my obvious neglect and began to ponder out loud why I am so allergic to it. I decided it's because it's such tedious work.

Then came the lesson in the rock beds.

"If you don't get the weeds out of your spiritual life, you are going to have a rock-bed full of problems that take away from any fruits being produced. And it will be so overwhelming it'll be easier to let the weeds take over than attack them.
But if you attack while the weed is fresh and be ready to attack every weed that pops up, every week, every day, here a little there a little, you will not be overwhelmed by it, and you will have a clean rock-bed allowing all it's fruit and beauty to shine." -Sam

And really, how fitting for the Spring Holy days! With this in mind, I'll be sure to put more effort into the tedious task of weeding. 

1 comment:

  1. Great spiritual insight into weed pulling. Those spiritual weeds will grow quickly sometimes and our lives are full of problem areas before we know it. You are so right, Sarah, in that we must keep the spiritual weeds pulled out so that our lives will produce only the lovely fruit of Christ living in us.

    ReplyDelete