Popular Posts

Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Mommy, is this number 7?"

It was the first day of unleavened bread where I got to see and spend a little time with my sister and her family. I had been holding baby Sebastien for a while, and as he started to doze, it was almost time for the second service. So I laid Sebastien on his blanket where he decided he didn't like it as well as my arm and started to fuss.

Meanwhile, little Jean-Philippe says, "Auntie Sarah, is this number seven?" Hmmm, what could he be talking about? So I said, "no, this isn't the 7th day, but the first day of unleavened bread...so, it's number one." Confused and in disbelief that he could be wrong, he turned to Anna and said, "Mommy! Is this number seven? Or is it number one?" Mommy replied, "yes, this is number seven." Jean-Philippe looked at me. "This is number SEVEN!" Well, what does auntie Sarah know?

I shouldn't have questioned the four year olds' intelligence. I looked to Anna and said, "Mommy? What is he talking about?" Being so close to the start time of the second service, they always play the hymns to send subliminal "time-to-sit-down" messages. As it turns out, the hymn that was being played was you guessed it: number 7! What four year old can tell you the hymn number by just hearing the music? What ADULT could tell you the hymn number? Will Jean-Philippe ever be able to trust his auntie Sarah again? Perhaps after I learn the hymns myself and one-up him...but until then, I'm sure he'll always question the one who thought hymn number seven was number one! I mean, wouldn't you? 


1 comment: